Sunday, September 9, 2012

I'm a slacker...

I have really slacked off on my juicing the last few days.  I weighed myself today and I have only lost .8 lbs this week! But then I started thinking...it's been almost a month since I measured myself so I did that and found out that I've lost almost 11"!!! 

That really kick started me.  I have to add some exercise to my schedule and I will see the weight and inches drop faster.  That's my goal for this week - to start exercising.

Today is Sunday and I usually cook on Sunday.  My husband always complains that I don't cook with meat anymore...but if he wants me to cook then he needs to deal with it.

So today I made Spicy Black Bean and Rice Enchilada Casserole.  I started with the rice.  I cooked a cup of Brown Pearl rice according to the directions on the pack and as that was cooking I made homemade enchilada sauce.  I started looking at the ingredients in the store bought stuff and it was enough to worry me.  So I found a healthy recipe online that doesn't require sugar or any preservatives.  I have been buying tomato products without any added sugars as well.  Here is the recipe for the Enchilada sauce:

2 tbls of vegetable oil
2 tbls of chili powder
2 tbls of flour
8 oz can of tomato paste
2 cups of water
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt

mix the vegetable oil, chili powder and flour in a sauce pan and heat for about 2 minutes but don't let it burn.  Add remaining ingredients stirring well to break up the paste.  Let cook on med - low for about 20 minutes - then set aside. 

By now the rice should be done as well.

In a stock pan you will make the enchilada filling.

2 tbls vegetable oil
1 large onion (sweet - diced)
2 green peppers (diced)
3 or 10 cloves of garlic (diced or crushed)
1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 15 oz can of kernel corn (drained)
1 15 oz can of garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
1 6 oz can of sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes with chilis
2 cups of brown rice
9 corn tortillas or you can use flour tortillas
Enchilada sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flake
1/2 tsp cumin
1 cup of low fat part skim mozzerella cheese
1 cup of a low fat chedder cheese

saute the onion, peppers and garlic in the vegetable oil for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.  Add the black beans, corn, garbanzo beans, mushrooms and diced tomato with chilis and mix well.  cook on med - low heat until all is heated thru (about 10 min).  Add the brown rice - it should still be warm from recently cooking if it has been chilled then heat the mixture until heated thru.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees - In a large casserole dish (13X9) spoon a very thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom.  Position 3 tortillas over the sauce so that they cover the majority of the bottom.  Spoon some sauce over the tortillas and spread evenly.  Spoon half the mixture onto the tortillas and spread evenly.  place another layer of tortillas onto the mixture.  I coated the tortilla bottoms with sauce first then placed them.  I put two full tortillas on there then split one in half and coverd the sides. then spoon some more sauce on the tortillas and layer the rest of the mixture on.  Cover with another layer of sauced tortillas. 
Make sure the sauce covers all of the tortillas.  Then cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes.  Top with cheeses then put back in the oven for 10 minutes until cheese melts.  Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.

I didn't use cooking spray because there is already enough oil in the recipe and I don't care for cooking spray so I took my chances and it didn't stick too terribly.  You can do what you like there.

You can top with cilantro, salsa or sour cream.  I preferred mine with nothing else on it.

 
Enjoy!
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment