Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Doctor Appointment

Today was my doctor appointment to talk to my doctor about the results of my blood panel and about the juice fast.

First off he did all the normal doctor stuff.  Asked me some questions.  Checked my breathing and heart beat.  Felt for swollen lymph nodes and the such.  Then we discussed my blood panel.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.

     Potassium was high
     Glucose was at prediabetic levels 106 (it should be <100)
     Triglycerides(256) were very high but overall Cholesterol(181) wasn't bad.
     HDL (38) was low and LDL (94) was normal.
     Vitamin D was still very low.  I tested about a year ago and it was 7.  I started taking a supplement everyday and it tested this time at 12.  It should be 30 so the doctor prescribed 50,000 units per week.

With some trepidation I approached the subject and asked him if he had seen the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  His reply was No but he had heard of it.  I went on to explain how Joe had an autoimmune disease and that after about 14 days the symptoms had disappeared and he was able to lower his dosage.  He said that he has a patient who is juicing but he didn't do a fast.  He juices for breakfast and lunch and for dinner he has a balanced normal meal.  He's lost about 60 lbs and said he feels great.  I said great, I would like to do a 5 day fast and hopefully, it will turn into a longer.  The doctor was very supportive of a juice fast and said that as long as I stopped doing the fast if I started feeling bad he would monitor it.  I told him that the first week would probably not be pretty but after that it should smooth out.  I have an appointment to see him on the 27th so he can see how things are going.

I mentioned that I had stopped eating as much meat.  I had dropped soda from my diet and I was eating more fruits and vegetables.  I also mentioned to him that I didn't think animal proteins were very good for us.  He said that he wasn't going to go there because he did think some animal proteins were ok but there should definitely be a limit. 

He knows my history and that I've tried every diet under the sun.  I told him that I really didn't want to do surgery, that I wanted to try to do this without medical intervention if at all possible.  He did say that he is an advocate for weight loss surgery in some individuals.  He usually suggests bariatric or the sleeve.  He doesn't like LapBand.  I just don't want to do any of them.  5 days til my juice fast.  Yes I'm lookin forward to this!

No comments:

Post a Comment